Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Phil Niekro

Update from the original post: I made a big trade and ended up trading away this autographed photo of Niekro, removing him from my collection. I'm now on the lookout for a replacement for this signature. I'm sad to see it go, but I think its for the best! Niekro is still living, and perhaps I'll be able to obtain one in person someday (or a smaller 3x5 card like many of my others).




I found this in a local card shop for a reasonable price.  Phil Niekro was an incredible pitcher - one of the last great knuckleballers of the modern era.  "Knucksie" may have had some incredible numbers, but this sharpie signed photo is pretty ridiculous.  From the bowl cut greying hear sticking out of the hat, to the glassy eyes...  it is topped off with the satin jacket tucked in to the road baby-blue 80s pants.  Wow.

Aside from the brilliance/ugliness of this photo, he played for my favorite team, in fact he was the first Blue Jay inducted.

Aside from all of that, I had already received a rejection letter from Niekro informing me that he charges for his signature, making this an easy purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment