Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Bobby Doerr (1918-2017)


Bobby Doerr's autograph arrived on the same day as Nolan Ryan and Duke Snider.  I'm not sure I'll ever get three in one day, but it was a pretty amazing feeling!  I assumed (incorrectly), that it would only be a matter of a few days before I had this quest completed!

Mr. Doerr sent back both my signed 3x5 card (in black pen), as well as an autographed postcard of his Hall of Fame plaque (in blue sharpie).  Both autographs included his induction year - which I've always thought was a nice touch (and something that neither Snider nor Ryan did).  Notice that he also added his own return address label to my SASE.  Click on the photo if you want his address.

I was especially pleased to receive this autograph because Doerr is the oldest living player who has been inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Update: Mr. Doerr passed away on November 13, 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment